Wednesday, August 1, 2012

new orleans weekend

I am married to a workaholic. When he has nothing to do, he THINKS of something. Yesterday evening when it was still over 100 degrees, he comes in for a few minutes between jobs and says, "I think I'll go wash the back of the house." Really?

So a few weeks ago, I was surprised when he suggested that we go to New Orleans for our anniversary weekend. And even more surprised that he didn't back out.

We left Friday morning after he had completed his early morning chicken stuff. Lovey really likes Dairy Queen, and he was happy when we found one in the town where we stopped for lunch.

I actually made our hotel arrangements as we drove down. We stayed at the Bourbon Orleans. From our window we could look down on a small section of Bourbon street.

It was raining when we arrived. We took the umbrella with us on our first trip out but never had to use it. Several times during the weekend it sprinkled, but we managed to miss it every time.

Lovey really enjoyed people watching from our hotel window. When we checked in they asked if we wanted to move to a room with a balcony. It was $60.00 more a night, and I thought we wouldn't be in our room enough to justify that much. Had I known how much he would look out this window, I would have gladly paid for the balcony. However, we might not have gotten the rooftop view with a balcony room.

Saturday morning we walked to Cafe du Monde for beignets. And then went to the French Market. The beignets and cafe au lait were soooo good. I can't say the same for the French Market - I was disappointed.

Then we walked along the river and found the aquarium. I am a sucker for aquariums. And I wasn't at all disappointed here.

There was a small screened in area full of birds. For only a $2.00, I bought food sticks. After just a few minutes I had two birds perched on my hands eating from the sticks.

I just have to say here that New Orleans humidity and my hair did NOT get along. And this screened in area had misters! I could feel my hair getting bigger and bigger while I was out there.

I could walk around Jackson square all day. There were some amazing artists there. And the square is just beautiful. This photo of the cathedral is my favorite of the entire weekend.

We found a balcony on Bourbon street and had lunch there. The food was good, but we had to wait and wait for service.

The balconies in the Quarter are just so pretty. It took us just a minute to find the one that had the bubble machine on it. Bubbles were everywhere on this street.

In the afternoon, we were picked up at the hotel for an airboat tour of the swamps.

The pictures just don't do it justice - it was gorgeous!

And of course, we got up close and personal with a few of the locals.

After walking around the French Quarter all afternoon and our ride on the air boat, we went back to the room so that I could try to get that hair under control. I made Lovey stop for a few pictures before we went outside - I knew the hair would blowup as soon as we stepped out on the sidewalk.

Sunday morning we hit Cafe du Monde one more time. And then wondered back to the hotel and headed home. But along the the way we stopped at Middendorf's for lunch. Oh my, it was good. Maybe the best seafood we had on the trip - and we ate seafood for everything except breakfast.

It was a great weekend getaway  - no schedules at all. We just don't get the chance to do this very often. But the workaholic had a great time. Maybe I can talk him into another weekend trip soon for the next anniversary.

No comments:

Post a Comment