Friday, June 1, 2012

a few new recipes

This morning I crawled out of bed, slipped on my shoes, and went out to get in my exercise. I wasn't looking forward to the running that I was scheduled to complete, and then I opened the door. The weather was PERFECT. So cool and just a light breeze. The entire time I was thinking that it would be perfect weather for grilling tonight, so I started making plans. I had found some recipes in the June issue of Southern Living a few days earlier and had everything I needed on hand.

When Lovey came in for lunch, I asked him if he felt like grilling (he had not felt great the night before). As soon as I got the okay from him, I sent Carrie and Liz a text. Can't let this wonderful weather go to waste. Supper on the deck tonight. Around 6:30. Who's in? Liz had to go cheer on her boy in a double header, and Clay had previous plans. So it was to be a small group. When Carrie arrived, I put the finishing touches on the sangria.


We grabbed our glasses and went straight to the deck. We have had such a hot spring, and tonight's temperture was juuust right.


The view was great, the weather was perfect, and the sangria was tasty. Shortly, Lovey got the grill going.  Supper included Broccoli Slaw with Candied Pecans, Grilled Pineapple, and Porkchops with Basil-Garlic Rub. Early in the afternoon I had prepared the basil-garlic rub. About an hour before grilling time, I put the rub on the chops.


I had also prepared the salad dressing and had the broccoli slaw waiting. When Lovey put the pork chops on the grill I added the glazed pecans and mixed the slaw and dressing. The prep ahead made supper time easy.


The pork chop was amazing. And grilled pineapple is perfect with porkchops. But that broccoli slaw? It was goo-oo-ood. These two recipes will be repeated for sure.

Tomorrow we are trying the Buttermilk-brined Grilled Chicken from the same issue. I'll let you know how it turns out. Tonight, I've got one more glass of sangria to finish. Yum.

Sangria recipe
Grilled Porkchop with Basil-Garlic Rub
Broccoli Slaw with Candied Pecans

4 comments: