Wednesday, August 17, 2011

my vocabulary has ruined my kids careers

I have mentioned that I have a problem with insomnia. I can usually go to sleep but can't stay that way. Sometimes I wake up after only an hour or so of sleep and can't get back to sleep until almost time to get out of bed. Sometimes I spend my night bouncing back and forth asleep, awake, asleep, awake. And every now and then I can't get to sleep at all.

I have also mentioned that lately I have been trying to be more active. Because of my recent increase in activity, my right knee is giving me fits. FITS I tell you! It hurts. Some days worse than others; yesterday was a some day. When I got home from work, it was swollen and causing pain up and down my entire leg. I have been taking Ibuprofen, but last night I had to take a pain pill before I went to bed.

Yesterday, I posted about my boys catching a wild pig.  And I'm sure the trap has been reset in hopes of catching another. There is much work to be done on a farm, but somehow they always find time to chase down wild critters.

Now! To try and tie this all together.

Last night I woke up twice. And each time I was thinking about the same thing. ERUDITE.

Several years ago, I was chatting with a friend from high school. And she used the word in conversation. I've known her a long time, so I wasn't surprised by her use of the word. But I have to say it's not a word I hear thrown about in everyday conversation. As a matter of fact, I'm not sure I've ever heard it used in casual conversation. I'm no dummy, but I am a simple girl. Not simple-minded, just low maintenance, down to earth.

And last night when I woke up thinking about ERUDITE, I had an epiphany (I do use that word). She casually throws around words like erudite. And this summer her son was at a camp where he split his DNA and then made a necklace out of it. I can't even begin to imagine how that is done. By a high school kid. At summer camp. While I, of the simple vocabulary, have two boys who would have never finished high school if they didn't have to maintain a certain GPA to be eligible for football. The boys have no interest whatsoever in reading or furthering their education. I can't count how many times I've been asked, "Where is he going to school?" when standing in line at the grocery store or gas pump. And I want to return, "Do you know my boys?" They have absolutely no interest in anything that might involve homework.

So last night in my insomnia/medicated/Lord,-don't-let-'em-bring-home-a-pig-to-keep sleep, I realized something. If I had only thrown around a few words like erudite, my boys would probably be pre-med students right now. And I might have a necklace with my DNA inside.

2 comments:

  1. Yikes! I had to look that word up myself :/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know. I'm thinking I need a word-a-day vocabulary app!

    ReplyDelete