Tuesday, August 23, 2011

a new thought

It's the second Tuesday of the school year. The seventh day of class. And today I saw some light! I've seen some sparks. A few glimmers. But today there was a definite GLOW!

Seeing the lightbulbs click on for my students is one of my favorite teacher things. It's great that we had some light today. The first week for seventh graders is usually a blur. I'm not sure they hear much that I say in the entire week. They are just overwhelmed with all the new - new building, new teachers, new schedules, new activities, new procedures. And sometimes in the busyness of first week, I forget. I get frustrated that those sparks don't glow. I start to panic.

What can I do?

What can I change?

Where do I go from here?

What can I do differently?

Maybe it's because we had our first test yesterday. Maybe it's just getting the first week behind us. But today it seemed as though they started to breathe again. Like they had been holding their breath and finally decided to exhale and breathe normally.

Maybe all these years I've been seeing the wrong thing. Maybe it's not a lightbulb but a flame. And a flame can't burn without oxygen.

I've got to remember to tell them to breathe.

No comments:

Post a Comment