Monday, April 4, 2011

Something in the Air

If you don't like the weather, stick around - it'll change

Today was just the type of day that causes this phrase to be repeated in Arkansas over and over again.

I got up around 1:00am to let Lucy out and noticed that it was warmer than it had been before dark. When I let both dogs out this morning, I couldn't believe how much warmer and more humid it had become. Too warm and humid for early April. When I got to work, the indoor was temperature was around 75 and the humidity in was 85%. Like a tropical rainforest in my classroom. The storm hit around 10:00. It was dark and windy and pouring rain. Students were held in classes just to be safe. By 10:30 or so, it was just a rainy day. With dropping temperatures. It was in the upper 70's when I got to school this morning; at 3:15 it was only 50. When I got home around 6:00, the rain was gone and the sky was interesting.


I love pretty clouds. But there is something else there. Can you see it?


Here's a different side of the house. Looking out from the front yard. Still pretty clouds. But do you see it?


 In the back yard, all the way across the field. Buzzards!



The side yard looking across the hay field. More buzzards. I had never seen so many. I suddenly was reminded of Faulkner's As I Lay Dying from years ago in college.



Same picture with tint. Looks creepy. And I've got to say, buzzards flying in all directions was a little creepy.



A few minutes later the buzzards were gone, and the clouds had gathered a little more color.



 Do you think the buzzards were just enjoying the beautiful evening after a stormy morning? They did seem to be gliding on the leftover winds. Are buzzards playful?

No comments:

Post a Comment