Saturday, April 23, 2011

Permission to Buzz the Tower?

One afternoon this week as I drove in from work, I noticed a strange piece of equipment. When Lovey came home, he joked, "I bought a helicopter today." The land on across the road from us is owned by a timber company. Last summer they cut the trees and then replanted this fall. The helicopter, along with a tank truck, was here to spray the newly planted trees. The winds were too strong to spray the day it arrived, so it was parked just across the road in a small opening. The exact spot that log trucks had been loaded the summer before. It has been a very dry winter for us. And maybe the guy just didn't notice that the spot he parked his very expensive piece of equipment in was lower than everything around it. Maybe he didn't think that this would be the night we would get 4 inches of rain. And his very expensive helicopter would be sitting in a giant mud puddle. As Baby Jus and I left for school the next morning, we noticed that water was covering some of the spray rigging and almost touching the bottom of the helicopter.

Being the good guy that he is, Lovey stopped some time that morning and dug a trench to drain the hole. The guy still had to wade water to get to his toy, but he didn't have to swim. When the crew returned on Friday, the guy noticed that someone had done him a favor. One of the truck guys stopped Lovey and told him that the pilot wanted to talk to him on the radio. The pilot asked if he had drained the hole and then thanked him for doing so. Nice guy. The winds were still too strong to spray, so the crew left their expensive toys behind for another day.


It's a beautiful morning.



I woke up at 5:30. I have much to do today, but I wasn't quite ready to get up at 5:30.



But just before 6:00, Jacob started growling at some unindentifiable noise.  I tried to convince him that everything was fine. But he is a big chicken. I knew what the noise was. And what noise was about to follow it.



It sounded like I was part of on old MASH rerun. When the chopper flies in during the opening.

It's a beautiful, not-windy day. And the nice pilot guy is taking advantage of his window of opportunity.



Flying right in front of my bedroom window. Over and over again.



So, by 6:30 I was outside taking a few pictures. It was a beautiful morning.



Is it wrong of me that just for a few minutes this morning I thought, "If Lovey hadn't 'a drained that stupid mud puddle, that pilot would be working on his stupid helicopter rather flying over my dang house at 6:00 in the morning!"? Lovey is such a better person than I.

No comments:

Post a Comment