Friday, October 7, 2011

two day outage

Living in the country has its ups and downs. Finding a way to connect can be a definite down. Where I live, I can't get DSL. We can't get cable. Cell coverage is iffy at best. It's just something we are accustomed to. So for me, it's satellite TV and satellite internet - and of course they are from different providers, so I can't bundle for a discount.

For the past two days we have been "experiencing an outage" with our internet. I do have to say that I got a call saying it would be up Friday morning, and when I got on today, it worked. But it was strange, and inconvenient, to be without an internet connection for two days.

And then this afternoon, the TV just went black. No static. No blinking. Nothing. Several minutes later we got a message that said something about the sun causing the disruption to our service. Really? The sun? We've had satellite TV for many years and never have I gotten that message. It didn't stay out for long - only a few minutes.

I discovered the internet was out on Wednesday evening. I had been sitting out on the deck watching the cows and the shadows move across the field.




The sun sets on the other side of the house.



The trees at the other end of the field glow - seemingly on fire at times.



It was a peaceful few minutes even with the crunching of the cows eating grass - have you ever listened to how noisy cows are when they eat? Like dry limbs rattling in the wind. Like a covey of quail taking flight.



It didn't take long before I had some company.


Mewing every few seconds. Sometimes the peace and quiet of the country can get really loud.



No comments:

Post a Comment