Monday, April 16, 2012

my marathon

Okay. I'm not a runner. I have started couch 25k at least 4 times in the last year. I've never gotten past the third week. I want to be a runner. I will eventually get past the third week. But right now I'm not a runner. I did however, begin a marathon this week.

Prom week.

We've done the planning. We've placed the orders. We've even opened some of the packages.

And today kicked off our own little hell week.

For those of you who were wondering, a 4X8 sheet of plywood will fit in the back of a Nissan Armada. But it would be best if the driver was a tiny person - like Flat Stanley. After school today I went to Lowe's to get some plywood to make a backdrop for the pictures. I called Lovey on the way there and ask if he thought it would fit. You know, just for reassurance since I was more than halfway there and had to get it tonight. He questioned whether my truck was wide enough. I assured him that it definitely was; and I was right. That plywood slid right in there without even bumping the sides.

The problem came when I tried to close the back. I had scooted the front seats up as much as I thought I could and still fit in to drive, and about three inches of the wood was still sticking out. I ended tieing the door and was good to go. (I have experience with this sort of thing. Several years ago my sister and I fit two ten speeds in the back of my firebird - and the two of us.)

The interesting part was my trip to walmart. With the plywood in the truck. I couldn't leave the back door open, so I had to scoot my seat completely up and tug the wood in enough so that the back door could click shut. No problem. I went in, did my shopping, and came back to the truck. I knew I would have to scoot the wood back before I could  load my things in the truck. But the door would start to open, the rope would tighten, and the door would shut again. I finally clicked the open button, shoved a packaged drop cloth under it, and used it as a wedge to hold the door open until I could scoot the wood back to the needed position. Then I loaded my sacks into the truck, scooted my seat back a bit, removed the drop cloth prop, and climbed in. I probably gave a few people something to talk about as they drove home tonight.

It was just the first leg of my marathon. I think it's going to be a long week.

If you see me this week realize that I am really stressed and will be a bit on-edge. I can't promise that I'll be nice. Let me just apologize now.

No comments:

Post a Comment