Wednesday, April 18, 2012

my mid-week update

Wednesday. Hump day. Middle of the week. Shouldn't I be seeing that proverbial light at the end of the tunnel? I woke up at 3:15, and the only light I saw was the numbers on Lovey's alarm clock. I do this when I've got a lot on my mind - can't sleep (an apparently can't spell - you all should see my first attempts at some of these words, gees). My marathon week only seems to be growing longer and longer at this point.

Yesterday was crazy. I called to check on an order that should have arrived Monday. It took forever to get someone on the phone then the guy took my number, told me that he would check with his boss and get back to me - I knew then that I wouldn't like his answer. But I didn't get one; at least not until I called him back several hours later. My items were on back order and wouldn't arrive for two weeks. I'll just tell you that the man listened to me explain how pitiful his company and his costumer service is for several minutes before I hung up. I also explained that most companies send an email if an item is on backorder. The company was ProAudio, the website name cheapdjgear. Because it is a disco themed prom and we need disco stuff, we ordered quite a large amount of our things from this company. I had better get a last package from the company today - a package that I was promised would be here last week (because something else was on back order!) - or you will all hear me yelling at this guy. The items on backorder were to be our centerpieces for the tables. After some agonizing phone calls and searches, we located replacements which should be here Thursday; I'll keep you posted.

While all of that was going on, one of the students was trying to hook up projectors and a video camera for live streaming of the dance floor. That wasn't going so great either. We'll work on that some more tomorrow. If we can't get it done, I'll call in the calvary.

And then I got a phone call from the t-shirt place (Print Mania). My t-shirts were ready for pickup. Which sound great except that I thought they were being shipped and would arrive Thursday afternoon, and the place is in Arkadelphia, and I didn't know when in the world I would have time to get to Arkadelphia to pick them up. It set off another small panic, but Robin and I came up with a plan that would work only to happily discover an hour or so later that the t-shirts were, in fact, delivered by the UPS guy.  I have done business with this company before, and I'm always pleased with the quality of their work and their customer service. I'm not sure who, but someone has t-shirts ready for pick-up in Arkadelphia today.

While I'm giving my opinion on businesses I've used for prom, if you've never visited save-on-crafts, it's a must. I ordered things from this website several years ago when I did prom. This year I knew I would use them again. Got a big party coming up?  A wedding? You'll find good stuff and great prices here. And the stuff arrives very fast. Customer service is amazing. This year a vase that I ordered had a chipped corner. One phone call and yesterday the replacement vase was here. No problems - we didn't even have to send back the broken vase.

Our souvenir cups also came in yesterday. Yay! Today Robin and I are off to do some last minute shopping. We've got several things to find. It will be another long day, but we will have some fun too - we always do.

Okay, so now that I think about it, maybe there is a tiny flicker of light. Somewhere off in the distance. I started taking pictures yesterday. When it's all over, I'll show you how we transformed that huge cave of a building into a trendy disco. Or something close to it. For the next few days, if you could send me all of your techi-good thoughts and a few prayers that we get the live-stream video working, I would appreciate it.

Of course, I wasn't paid for my opinion of the companies mentioned. These are just my observations/experiences from my marathon prom adventures.

No comments:

Post a Comment