Tuesday, November 8, 2011

thirty days of thanksgiving 8

Listen, my child, to the instruction from your father, and do not forsake the teaching from your mother. For they will be like an elegant garland on your head, and like pendants around your neck.
- Proverbs 1:8-9

Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and do not rely on your own understanding.
- Proverbs 3:5

Listen, my child, and accept my words, so that the years of your life will be many. I will guide you in the way of  wisdom and I will lead you in upright paths.
- Proverbs 4:10-11

The big boy has always been more of a daddy's boy. If his daddy cranked it, pulled it, or loaded it; he wanted to do the same. From his first summer with us, he constantly asked, "Will you teach me to cut hay?" Finally to stop the questions, his daddy told him that he could learn when he was twelve years old.

Flash forward to a late spring day six years later. He is in a rush to get home from school, and I can't figure out why. As we drive up to the house, he jumps out of the truck goes to the fence and waits. His daddy is cutting hay for the first time that season, and Big Boy remembers a promise made many years before.

Flash forward to a summer day seven years later. Relationships are difficult. Many promises have been made. Promises and hearts have been broken. He returns home after several weeks searching for something that we can't give. Conversation is not easy. Words can't seem to jump the void. An offer is spoken, "That hay looks just about ready."

And then an  acceptance, "I can start cutting in the morning."


Dear Lord, thank you for bringing this child into my life. I pray that you guide him in the way of wisdom and lead him in upright paths. Lord, fill any void in his heart with your love. I ask that you put a hedge of protection around him and keep him safe in all that he might do.

No comments:

Post a Comment