Friday, November 11, 2011

thirty days of thanksgiving 11

Today was my Aunt Evelyn's funeral.

At the small country church she had attended for years and years.

It was packed. People filled the pews, lined the walls, stood in the foyer, filled a room behind the pulpit, and even waited outside. 

At the grave, a cousin-preacher led the group in two verses of  Amazing Grace.

Then the members of local churches served lunch for our family.

I had fried chicken, home-canned green beans, sourdough bread, and lemon icebox pie.

And I was reminded of just how lucky I am to be a part of this family and this community.

Heavenly Father, I am so thankful for traditions held for years and years. During a time when so much emphasis is placed on the new and changing, I thank you for keeping some things the same. And I thank you for your unchanging, unfaltering love. Thank you, Lord, for allowing me to be a part of such an amazing family and community.

No comments:

Post a Comment