Sunday, November 6, 2011

thirty days of thanksgiving 6

When your children ask you, 'What does this ceremony mean to you?'
- Luke 18: 26

Come children! Listen to me! I will teach you what it means to fear the Lord.
- Psalms 34:11

So now, children, listen to me; blessed are those who keep my ways.
- Proverbs 8:32

Tonight's youth lesson took some thinking. For the last several weeks we have used a house analogy, and tonight that analogy moved to a toolshed.

You might ask, "What does a toolshed have to do with God?" Believe me it took just a few minutes for us to get there too.

There are tools for all kinds of jobs. As a matter of fact, there are very job specific tools.

Tonight's question: If you were a tool, what would you be?

The idea? That tools work for us.

We are a tool for God. What work do we do for Him? Do we use our talents for Him?

What if we don't know our talents yet?

I think my talent could be leadership.

My talent is making people feel better when they are sad.

How do we know when we have a talent?

What if we are scared to use our talents?

When we share about our Salvation, we are working for God.

When we are chastised for our beliefs but stand up for what we believe in, we are a tool for God.


Those kids have some thought-provoking conversations. And an amazing FAITH.

Father, I thank you for Jacob, Megan, Laynie, Darian, Kaitlyn, Blair, Chandler, Caleb, Sarah, Delaney, Hannah, Chandler, and all those who join us for UMY. What a blessing it is to study your word with these amazing kids.  Thank you for the leadership that Brooke provides each week. I ask that you lead us in the direction that draws us closer to you. Enlarge our territory, Lord. Allow us to be a well-worn tool in your toolshed.

No comments:

Post a Comment