Saturday, January 21, 2012

the twilight zone

Cell service at my house is iffy sometimes most of the time. I've been calling AT&T with my complaints since the summer. Other than an occasional credit on my bill, nothing has improved. It is very frustrating to not be able to complete a call and especially to not have even enough service to send/receive a text. After months and months of this, I've come to expect poor service and am happily surprised when 3G is available long enough to complete a task.

I realize that I may have a slight addiction to my phone. Yes, I know that I don't have to be available 24/7. But...

This week has been a challenge for many of us who suffer from ineedtobeabletoaccessinformationatalltimes addiction. On Wednesday, when many websites were blacked out to protest SOPA, my world was totally disconnected. Just before school got out, we lost cell coverage, land line service, and had no internet at all.

I actually had a student to ask if I thought the world was really coming to an end. She was certain that our lack of connection was related to the blacked out websites and tried to convince me,  you know it is 2012.

I was at a workshop on Thursday. Because of some glitch with the servers at school, I couldn't access my email. When I got back to school on Friday, the server was up but still no email. I checked to see that I could get on Gradequick, reported to principal that I could, then a few hours later when I needed to work on Gradequick - I couldn't. Seems there was some problem with the state's server.

Crazy that all of these disconnects happened at once. And it does make one wonder, doesn't it.

Cue music from The Twilight Zone.

No comments:

Post a Comment